The Karl Rove
Well, last night, my mom and I got to TLG little early so we could get some dinner. Maybe I was just hungry, but it tasted really good. I've been going there for 16 years basically, and I never really paid much attention to the food. We had a pretty long wait, but I did get to watch Nipe set up and talk to the other musicians. The opening act started at around nine. She wasn’t a very good player, and had a weaker voice, but I thought she did very well considering. The next act was supposed to be an intermission show, or like a side act, but she wanted to split it 50/50, so 5 songs a set. Eh, she was a good musician, but I didn’t really like her. She seemed, to kind of have an…. Interesting… humor. She was very… something I don’t know. Bad vibe.
Well she stopped and it was time for The Karl Rove to come on. I knew at once that it was going to be too loud when I saw Nipe plug his guitar in, and turn a knob on his mixer all the way up. A very low hum filled the air, and the speakers began to crackle as they warmed up. “ONE TWO THREE FOUR!” A deafening guitar riff took everyone by surprise with its ferocity, I was in such a state of shock that I forgot to breathe. I wonder if that was what they meant to do. Damn, it sure worked well. I never would have guessed Nipe would play in a band that heavy. I listened to his old band Book of Kills and their stuff was heavy and punchy, but the topics were a lot lighter.
When the head thrashing music finally ended (I did enjoy it by the way,) Nipe and the rest of his band headed out side to give Lola, the supporting act, her half hour. I went out and talked to him and he was just like, “ugh, I wish we could play a little quieter, with rehearsal last night, and a gig today and another on Friday, I’m going to be deaf all week.” He talked with Bug for a little and had a sip or two of beer to calm his mind. Then it was time for The Karl Rove to come back on. “Well, I’m glad you all came out to see The Karl Rove, now we’re going to pull some songs from the Book of Kills archives.”
Hah! Now we’re talking. With these songs, the music was just as heavy, but the lyrics were somewhat lighter. The only song I can really remember is one someone requested called Funtown, or less appropriately, Another Shitty Day in Funtown. “Ah come on! You’ve gotta say the whole title!”
“All right!” he yelled into the microphone. “Another Shitty Day in Funtown, ONE TWO THREE FOUR!” They played two or three more songs after that and were about to call it a night. But no, everyone, including my self called for more. And again, and again, and again……..and again. They were called for an encore 4 or 5 times I think.
When I finally got home it was fast approaching the hour of one. On a school night. I ended up having my piece of pie I had been waiting for all night and taking a shower. I was overly stimulated, all in all, I think I fell asleep at three. Three hours later, I was seriously contemplating skipping school, but I dragged my self out of bed and got in the shower. My mom made me a double shot of chai which actually, is just now starting to die off. Well, I need to practice for a guitar lesson and do my friggen geometry homework.
Afternoon



1 comment:
NIPE IS BEYOND AWESOME! AH! I'm jealous! The only thing I'm not jealous of is the loss of hearing you surely experienced. Had I been there myself my mind probably would have imploded from the high concentration of awesome . LUCKY!
Post a Comment