Ooh...That... Smarts.
I should have started running earlier, or maybe just not run on asphalt. I hate asphalt almost as much as I hate Monday. When I took my first steps out the door, I was fine, I took off at a blazing pace, the wind taking my hair, and pulling my clothing tight across my body. And then, I started to slow, my legs started aching, my breath seized up in a stitch, and my muscles cramped to the point of me having to stop. Thrice I had to stop. When I finally made it to one of my designated stretching spots, I started mechanically working through all of the stretches I was taught, not really paying attention to the actual stretching as much as the fact that I got it done. Bad idea. When I started out again, I felt fine for a little, my hands were tingling because I didn't have gloves and my throat hurt a little from the cold air. But after I hit about a mile, the same aches and pains started wreaking havoc on my body again. No, I thought, not this time, I won’t stop, it can only get better. Hah, shut the hell up. It got worse, much worse. Ever since the first day I started running, if I’ve managed to get a stitch, a cramp grows in my shoulder and works in tandem with the one in my side, while one takes a break the other viciously prods my muscles. I made it past the two mile mark with out stopping, but as I approached 2.5, I was assaulted yet again by wracking pains in my shoulder and knees. I got that utter feeling of weakness, where my legs wanted to give out and my lungs burst. All of my muscles were stretched to the point of snapping like an old rubber band, and my joints were creaking in pain. What the hell?? Is running three miles really that hard? I used to do 6-8 in practice as an easy distance run. I managed to pick my self back up and keep running after I stretched a bit.
Only when I got home did I realize how cold I was. My hands were white from a lack of blood, and my nose was cherry red from the cold. Oh, man, I need to go take a shower I thought. The door closed and I pulled off my wet shirt to reveal my angry red body, stung from the cold and touchey from the rapid change in temperature. That damn ache was still there in my shoulder, I could see it flexing angrily with every beat of my heart. Some of my other muscles had random twitches or would flex out of my control. Only when the water start hitting me did I start to warm up. I never get cold, or at least, it doesn’t affect me much, so this is slightly troubling. Oh well. All in all, it was a horrible run, but I’ll make up for that sooner or later.
Now it’s time to go to the XC banquet. Joy!

1 comment:
amazing description.
Post a Comment