Saturday, December 02, 2006

Click.

I must say, -I think I'm repeating this- that my lesson on Thursday was the best lesson I've ever had. Eric and I flew through the book work, and when it was time to work on what I wanted, he suggested I try figuring out a song. Uhh, ok I though, I told him how many times I've tried but only partially figured one out, and had to ask him to fix it. This time, I chose the song Caspian Sea, by Karl Rove, becuase I had already figured out the bass line on guitar. He asked me to play what I thought it was, and told me what was correct, and what wasn't. Next he asked me to listen to the guitar, I was listening to the bass. Ooh! I hear it now! I always followed the bass instead of guitar. The bass line goes down, while the guitar goes up, creating a weird harmony. What I love most is, he never straight up told me, what I had to do, he let me mess around, until I found the right chord. We worked our way through that song with me playing what I hear, and then him telling me what to look for. Suddenly, everything makes sense, I can find all the notes, and I usually just know what things to play, what scales to use, and such. I didn't really realize how helpful it was until this morning, when I started playing the Led Zeppelin songs I knew, and then, I came across one I didn't know, and I was just messing around, listening to it. It started off with a keyboard, and my hands instantly slipped to an A scale I think, and just started playing. It sounded right, so I rewound the song, and listented to the exact notes. Bam, I know a new song. And on and on it went, I must have done with 5 or 6 songs, in like half an hour.
Well that's great! But now I'm off to staunton to see... Macbeth, and The Tempest.

Ummmm 12:23!

Artemis Entreri

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope I can play like that someday.
I'm sure gonna give it a shot.
:]

Hillary said...

aah! macbeth! the tempest!!! yay!! have fun!